Dane re-elected as chairperson of the UN Committee Against Tortur
Jens Modvig, chief physician and head of the health department in DIGNITY, has been re-elected as chairperson of the UN Committee Against Tortur.
The re-election was held on the morning of the 23rd of April, before the members began the 63rd session in Geneva.
The UN Committee Against Torture consists of 10 independent experts who monitor whether the countries comply with the Convention Against Torture. This is done through regular examinations of the signatory countries. In addition, the committee deals with individual complaints of violations.
Jens Modvig has used his medical background to fight torture for almost 20 years. He has been a member of the committee since 2014 and chairperson since April 2016. As chairperson, he has been at the forefront of numerous country examinations.
In the new period of the committee, three new members from China, Russia and Columbia will enter.
The committee then consists of members from the United States, Morocco, Tunisia, Mexico, Moldova, Columbia, France, Russia, China and Denmark.
- Chief physician, Ph.D, Jens Modvig, born 1953
- Chairman of the UN Committee Against Torture since 2016
- Head of the health department in DIGNITY – Danish Institute Against Torture
- Jens Modvig is a clinical lecturer in social medicine and rehabilitation at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen
- Jens Modvig lives in Holte with his wife